Thursday, July 17, 2008

Days two and three - Colorado

Days 2 and 3, July 10 and 11, 2008

Colorado

From Heron Lake SP in NM to Montrose, Co. – then Montrose to the Rocky Mountain National Park 581 miles

I left Heron Lake Thursday morning and headed north into Colorado – rode by the RV park in Pagoosa Springs where Sara and I stayed 8 years ago. A short ride west on Hwy 160 and I was in Durango. I ate a good Mexican lunch with sopapillas as I listened to the thunder roll. I came out to wet streets and rode through sporadic showers. Had to go very slow on roads that taunted me – faster, faster. There’s a lot of road construction – everywhere. And the wet, twisty Hwy 550 between Durango and Montrose was no exception. I got some good pictures during a particularly long construction delay. Molas Pass at 10,899 feet was beautiful. Again, see http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr

I rode into Montrose a bit morose. Seems I played the game “what if” a bit too much and scared myself. Hadn’t done anything stupid, but my confidence was lagging. I was tired and my spirits were damp. And then I hit my first ticket shock for tent camping - $24 for the privilege of sleeping on their grass. But the campground had a great shower. After I was set up and fed, another bike pulled in. Clif is from California, rides a BMW RT1200, and had taken a month to ride around. Like me, tent camping.

Clif is a CPA with much experience and ambition – and this month he’s between two jobs. So, he borrowed the money he’d saved for his daughter’s college tuition and bought this touring bike (leaving his Harley at home with his wife Carol and son). Makes perfect sense to me. He assured me that when he gets home he’s going to sell the BMW to fast forward his tuition repayment. As we talked we realized we’d mapped out almost identical road trips. So Friday morning we left the campground together, heading west.

Now, picking up men while riding my bike is nothing new for me. My personal record to date is four at one time ;-) – a group from Texas I met at the Rio Grande Gorge just outside of Taos. We had a great, fast ride to Chama for lunch. Then there’s Dick – I picked him up at a construction delay on the Enchanted Circle… So I was comfortable with my new riding partner though I didn’t know how he was going to explain me to his wife. Part of the joy of our time together was knowing that either of us could just turn off at any moment – that the ride had no expectations and would last only as long as … it lasted.

After breakfast, our next stop was Black Canyon at Gunnison National Park. I knew of the town of Gunnison but knew nothing of the National Park. What a find! The pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr don’t do it justice but you’ll get an idea. The road down through Black Canyon to the river of its origin drops 1,800 feet in 3 miles, on a 16% grade. I’d never even heard of a 16% grade – but it’s a blast on the motorcycle.

Riding with Clif was good for me in many ways. He’s a very good rider, careful, and not obliged to always obey the speed limit. I realized how spookey, tentative, slow I’d gotten the day before. But with dry roads, lots of curve, and Clif to model, I was good to go.

We rode 350 miles on the best roads I’ve ever been on. Could the Alps be better?

Late in the afternoon, we rode two plus miles down a dirt road to a campground that was full – but incredibly beautiful and worth the ride. But then I dropped my bike in the gravel as I tried to turn around on the uneven ground. Ug. Maybe I need to buy Gypsy Rocket a new paint job.

I’m still sleeping well on my new pad - & that’s amazing. I’d gone through four others to find one that lets me wake up without hurting.

We came over Monarch Pass at 11,300 feet – good photo op. The motorcycle is doing great but is a little soggy on the high passes – an oxygen thing – so I need to drop down to 4th gear to get it to jump. But in 4th, it’s as quick as ever.

We spent Friday night on the western edge of the Rocky Mountain National Park. I’m enjoying getting to know something of Clif. I’m old enough and whatever else enough that he’s not uncomfortable (or interested) so I present no threat. We’re learning to be good friends. After we set up the tents, his wife called and he innocently said something like "We rode through..." Clif has been posting a blog since he left and had described/explained me there. But it seems Carol hadn't read it. So he quickly described me as "a petite grandmother of two" -- obviously Carol then asked my age. We were sitting together at the picnic table so I watched him squirm, "Well, I'm only guessing here, but I'd say 60...." and he looked at me for help. I laughed and held up one finger. Wish I'd been quick enough to hold up 9! But apparently a 61 yr old grandma of 2 was an acceptable riding partner.

So, tomorrow, Saturday, we’ll ride through the Rocky Mountain National Park.

No comments: