Sunday, July 20, 2008

day 11 Idaho and Wyoming

Day 11

July 26, 2008

From Victor, Id to Rawlins, Wy 422 miles

Have you noticed that I can’t count?

I stayed in Victor, Id for 2 days – I was just tired. Which worried me a bit ‘cause. What if …what if I really was too old for this foolishness? I was a long way from home to start wimping out. But all I needed was to sit and watch the wind blow through the trees for a day, and I was ready for the road this morning. Plus I bought me a high tech thermo rest pillow – no more scrunched up dirty clothes in a helmet bag!

I’d have been happy to head the bike towards Oregon, or British Columbia, or most anywhere. But instead, I meandered south – plans often change at breakfast. Over a repeat of huevos rancheros I looked at options. I thought I would head north along the eastern border of Idaho then drop down on the east edge of Yellowstone (to hit some cool, twisty roads and avoid the foot dragging traffic in the park). But when I did the math (read my first sentence again), I realized that would add 700 miles and I might not have enough time. So, I meandered south, winding between Idaho and Wyoming through some incredibly green-beautiful space on various highways but mostly Hwy 30 and 89. I saw two eagle nests with small heads poking over the ledge. Then the green began to turn brown, then to the desert colors I know from SE New Mexico. The mountains lay down into rolling hills, then into sandy knolls.

I stopped briefly in Montpelier, Id at the City Park, to stretch my legs, eat some fruit, and brose through a local car show. Kids were playing baseball at the park (the team in red was making the most noise ); people were walking around with their dogs; some guy was singing away, even though not so in tune. I made another stop in Afton, Wy to photo the antler arch. No matter what they say on the news, American is alive and well.

I think I’ve cleared up the glitch so you can see pictures now. http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr

I picked up I-80 south of Kemmerer, Wy and began to make some time. I rode hard today and I’m tired. But it’s a good tired.

I’m at another KOA. To my surprise, KOA’s work well for me when I’m alone and pushing hard. Otherwise, I prefer the state park or mom and pop type. But with the KOA I’m assured of clean bathrooms, people around to keep away the “varmints” (two-legged kind), electricity for my laptop, and often free coffee.

Tomorrow, I’ll head to Renee’s, my niece in Colorado.

No comments: