Wednesday, July 23, 2008

days 13, 14, and 15 Golden Colorado

Day 13, 14, and 15 July 21,22, and 23, 2008

From Fort Collins, Co to Golden, Co – not far at all

I made a slow start from the campground in Poudre Canyon and headed south to my niece’s in Golden. I met Renee at her work and convinced her to take off early. After visiting with Renee, Rob, her husband, and two girls – Rowan and Jules – over a great home-made supper, I slept in a BED for the first time in 13 days. Life is really good.

So good, in fact, that I’ve hung around for a couple of days. Golden is the home of Coors Beer, a great place to hike, and a progressive town. This morning Renee and I took a hike and watched horses gallop by. http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr

I've tucked in a couple of pictures of my family.
And tomorrow morning I load up the bike and head south. I’d like to pick Grace up from the kennel on Saturday morning (early), so I have two days to ride. (By August 3, I’m heading back to Florida with my rig, so I can be there for my son’s birthday on August 6). It was 900 miles from Lakewood to Golden, the long way (mid-state, Durango, Montrose, Gunnison, Buena Vista,) but it’s 630 if I only do some of the mountains, and 570 miles if I stay on the east side of the Rockies. We had thunderstorms this afternoon, so my travel plans for tomorrow are weather dependent. It’s not much fun riding those high mountain passes in the rain, so I “might” take I-25 south to the New Mexico border and then slip over to the mountains in the west.

My time in Golden has been great – and now it’s time to head back.

There are so many roads I haven’t been able to take, and tons I’d love to ride again. And it’s time to head back.

No comments: