Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 6 July 14, 2008 still in Custer, Wy

Day 6

July 14, 2008 - Monday

Custer, SD

Clif and I got a slow start on a day with a short agenda and rode over to the Crazy Horse Memorial on Hwy385. As we parked, there were people staring at the mountain as though something was about to happen. I said, “They don’t often blast, but I wonder…” Then there was a loud boom with dust flying from Crazy Horse. I had to scramble for my camera, but the picture gives you some idea. http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr

The monument for Crazy Horse is an amazing tribute to the spirit and history of Native Americans; to what us white people did to them in the name of our greed, and to the tenacity of a dream. The sculpture dwarfs Mt. Rushmore – it’s 563 feet high; the face is 9 stories high. Korczak, the sculptor, worked alone for years, climbing stairs to play around with dynamite and art. His children continue his work; their grandchildren may not see its completion. It remains a family project financed by ordinary people; they refuse government aid.

After touring Crazy Horse, we had a great lunch and then our roads finally forked. Clif headed west and I stayed on in SD. I needed my SD driver’s license and the office wasn’t open on Mondays. Clif was going to visit his sister in Idaho and then ride to Glacier, Washington, and Oregon before returning home to California.

I called friends from Lakewood – Greg and Lynell – who have their motor home parked at a campground in Custer and rode over. I set my tent up beside them (There goes the neighborhood), and enjoyed our visit. There was another couple from Lakewood at the same park; Bob and Ede joined us for a cookout. They retired to the luxury of their motor homes, and I crawled back into my tent. Again, pixs on Picasa.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gypsyjudgefjr

No comments: