Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 7 Ten Sleep, Wy

Day 7

July 15, 2008

From Custer, SD to Ten sleep, Wy. 331 miles.

I didn’t get on the road ‘til 1 pm. I went to breakfast with Greg and Lynell and met a female rider on a BMW R1100R – young, attractive, a few days ahead of her husband whom she will meet at the BMW International Rally in Gillette tomorrow. It’s unusual to see other solo women riders – and good.

Well, I’m finally legal. I went to Rapid City and got my SD driver’s license – couldn’t pick up the renewal on my license plates tho. Have to go “home” to Emery for that.

The ride back from Rapid City to Buffalo, Wy was all interstate but it felt good to be able to run out some miles. From Buffalo I took Hwy 16 – beautiful ride. Within minutes of turning west from Buffalo the road began to climb up rocky hills that grew into mountains; earlier I was hot, riding in a short sleeve shirt and my mesh jacket with the windshield down. That changed with the altitude, and I stopped to put on my liner. Hwy 16 runs with Crazy Woman Creek, a favorite fishing hole. I’ve never seen so many bugs! They sounded like rain splattering on the windshield.

I found a campground in this tiny village of Ten Sleep. Bikers have set up five other tents. Most everybody is heading east to the BMW Rally in Gillette. I met another woman rider, Linda, who travels alone a lot tho not this trip. She mapped out several favorite roads, so the buffet increases.

No comments: